Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mango Fruit Sauce

Have some fruit hanging around that you don't know what to do with?  Boy do I have a plan for you!

A good fairy left two Atualfo mangoes and a huge fruit cup from Whole Foods when I was at work last week.

It didn't take me long to figure out what to do with them.  I started by seeding the mangoes and scraping the flesh off the peels into the blender.


I added the zest from one lemon and some orange juice.

After pureeing for a few seconds I added sugar and some grated fresh ginger.

Once everything was pureed to my desired consistency, I stirred the in the fruit (slicing or dicing each type accordingly)
Now you just need to add some cake!

I chose Buttermilk Country Cake from Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Cake Bible", one of the best cakes from one of the best cake books ever!  Slather with fruit sauce and a nice dollop of your favorite vanilla yogurt, and enjoy!
I believe a similar sauce could be made with peaches, plums, cantaloupe, or almost any other fruit, adjusting the orange juice according to the thickness of the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment